Orange County's new Longtime Homeowner Assistance Program (LHAP) provides property tax bill assistance to assist households affected by the 2021 countywide property revaluation.
The Orange County Board of Commissioners initiated the LHAP on June 15, 2021, by allocating $250,000 in American Rescue Plan Act funds to . To qualify, homeowners must:
- Live in Orange County;
- Have lived in their home for at least 10 years;
- Have experienced an increase in property taxes due to the 2021 tax revaluation; and
- Earn no more than 80% of the area median income (see income chart below).
Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Dec. 15, 2021. Applications are available online or via paper.
Online Application Portal: orangecountynchousing.submittable.com/submit
Paper Applications: Pick up a paper application at the Orange County Housing and Community Development Department offices:
- Hillsborough Office: 300 West Tryon Street, 3rd Floor, Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Chapel Hill Office: 2501 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27516
Completed paper applications can be dropped in the drop boxes outside of the Housing and Community Development offices or mailed to:
Orange County Housing and Community Development
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Housing Helpline staff can help people complete and submit applications and to give information on the supporting documentation needed. Call 919-245-2655 or email HousingHelp@orangecountync.gov.
For more information about the LHA Program, visit the webpage https://www.orangecountync.gov/2813/Longtime-Homeowner-Assistance-Program.