Appendix 4 FAQs and Resources
What Can I Do to Be Prepared for Floods?
(This information is available at www.townofcarrboro.org/1227/Toms-Creek)
Use the My RainReady online tool (www.cnt.org/rainready/my-rainready) to assess your property and get recommendations/options tailored to your conditions.
Investigate if you qualify for FEMA programs, i.e.: The National Flood Insurance Program, Hazard Mitigation Assistance, etc. (www.fema.gov)
Review EPA’s “Soak Up the Rain” campaign for information and how-to guides for residents. (www.epa.gov/soakuptherain)
Know your flood risks. (flood.nc.gov/ncflood)
Plan ahead for disasters. (www.ready.gov)
Sign up to receive alerts from Carrboro (www.townofcarrboro.org/list) and Orange County. (https://member.everbridge.net/index/453003085611768#/signup )
View stream gauges and sign up to receive alerts on the Flood Inundation Mapping and Alert Network. (fiman.nc.gov)
Review the Flood Risk Information System. (fris.nc.gov/fris)
Sign up for USGS Water Alert. (maps.waterdata.usgs.gov/mapper/wateralert)
View the Town floodplain map. (gis.ci.carrboro.nc.us/Carrboro/Floodplain)
View the Town flooding event map. (https://tocgis.ci.carrboro.nc.us/Carrboro/FloodEvents)
What Kind of Public Oversight Does the Stormwater Utility Have?
How Can I Stay Informed About Stormwater?
· Follow Stormwater Advisory Commission meetings, currently scheduled for the second Thursday of each month.
· The Stormwater Utility presents a monthly report to the Town Council. Check the Council agendas for these reports
· Sign up for the Town’s Newsletter and Newsflashes at https://townofcarrboro.org/list.aspx.
· Follow the Town the Stormwater program on Social Media:
- Instagram: @townofcarrborostormwater, @townofcarrbro
- Facebook: @CarrboroTownGov
- Twitter: @CarrboroTownGov
How Can I Provide Input?
- Report Flooding Events (https://tocgis.ci.carrboro.nc.us/Carrboro/FloodReport/)
- Request Stormwater Services or Report Illicit Discharges
- Apply to become a member of the Stormwater Advisory Commission
- Contact Town’s Stormwater Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-918-7435